Suspect Arrested in Shooting of 2 Officers in Ferguson, Police Say

A 20-year-old man was charged with first-degree assault in the shooting of two police officers in front of the Ferguson Police Department early Thursday morning, according to Robert P. McCulloch, the prosecuting attorney for St. Louis County, who announced the charges in Clayton on Sunday.

The man, Jeffrey Williams, acknowledged firing the shots, Mr. McCulloch said.

He said that Mr. Williams, who is from north St. Louis County, was inside a car “at least for some of the shots.”

The weapon used was a .40 caliber handgun, Mr. McCulloch said, and the authorities have recovered it.

“It was possible he was firing shots at someone other than the police, but struck the police officers,” Mr. McCulloch said.

Mr. Williams was in custody, Mr. McCulloch said. He stressed that the investigation was continuing and that additional arrests may be made. The suspect was found through information provided by community members.

Mr. McCulloch said that Mr. Williams indicated that he had a dispute with some people who were in front of the police headquarters, “which had nothing to do with the demonstrations that were going on.” Mr. Williams indicated that he was firing at the people he had the dispute with, the prosecutor said.

“He is a demonstrator,” Mr. McCulloch said. “He was out there earlier that evening as part of the demonstration. He’s been out there on other occasions, part of the demonstrations.” Mr. Williams was on probation for receiving stolen goods, Mr. McCulloch said.

Several protest leaders quickly took to Twitter to say that Mr. Williams, who is African-American, was not one of them.

DeRay McKesson, who has been documenting the protests on social media since they started last summer, posted to his account, “No, I cannot recall ever seeing the suspected shooter, Jeffrey Williams, at any protests, including the night in question.”

The two officers — one from the county police and the other from the nearby Webster Groves department — were standing shoulder to shoulder as part of a protective line facing demonstrators across the street from the police station. At least three gunshots came from a distance behind the demonstrators, as much as 125 yards away, the authorities said.

The demonstration followed an announcement that the Ferguson police chief, Thomas Jackson, was resigning. Mr. Jackson became the latest senior city administrator to step down after a Justice Department report accused the city of using its municipal court and police force as moneymaking tools that routinely violated constitutional rights and disproportionately targeted blacks. The municipal judge and city manager, as well as the top court clerk and two police supervisors, have stepped down in the wake of the report’s release last week.

The two officers, whom the authorities declined to name, were treated at a hospital and were recuperating at home, according to Chief Jon M. Belmar of the St. Louis County Police Department.

The Webster Groves officer, 32, a seven-year veteran, was shot in the face, the bullet entering under his right eye and becoming lodged behind his ear, officials said. The county officer, 41, a 14-year veteran, was shot in the shoulder, with the bullet coming out of his back.

The shooting ratcheted up tensions that have been simmering here since Aug. 9, when a white police officer, Darren Wilson, fatally shot an unarmed, 18-year-old black man, Michael Brown. A grand jury declined to indict Officer Wilson in November.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: